Discussion > Finding Therapist in Asia

Dear Dr Dodes,

I am writing from Malaysia and have a very close friend who is suffering from addiction for most of his life.

We never knew how serious his addiction was until he has recently progressed to cocaine binging, 20-30g each time.

In this part of the world, drugs addicts are criminalized and not treated with compassion. As a result he has been suffering silently without any professional help for 25 years.

His family is now desperately in need to find effective help for him. By chance or good fortune we encountered your book, The Heart of Addiction, and found it insightful, enlightening and hopeful.

We would very much appreciate if you could offer your guidance how we can seek good professional help for him. Are there trusted professionals who are willing to relocate temporarily to Asia to treat the patient? If not, which clinic or doctor is highly recommended which would make temporary relocation of the patient worthwhile?

The family has considered sending him to luxury rehabs but as a concerned friend, I am doubtful if they truly work for my friend.

Looking forward to get your response.

Yours sincerely,
Julie

June 8, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterJulie

Dear Julie,

Thanks for your message. I don't know of professionals in Malaysia, but if your friend can travel outside the country there are a few possibilities. Treatment would require a lengthy stay but he could come for a couple of weeks to Australia or the US and have an extended consultation, to be followed up by treatment at home, possibly by international telephone if there are no appropriate therapists near you. In any case, you are wise to avoid the luxury rehabs which generally offer unproven and nonsensical "treatments" while having poor success rates, as I described in my book, "The Sober Truth". I will be glad to send you a private email message to discuss this further if you leave an email address.

Lance Dodes, M.D.

June 8, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterLance Dodes, M.D.