Discussion > Advice for an Amateur

I have just finished reading your book "The Heart of Addiction" and will order your latest book immediately. I am 60 years old, the child of two abusive and neglectful alcoholics, and have battled intense anxiety and depression all my life. In response, I have become "addicted" (perhaps) to self help and to learning as much as I possibly can about various ways to help both myself and others. I seem to attract people with severe emotional problems and have become a sort of grandmother/guru to a lot of people including over a hundred foster children. Many people say I have helped them and I hope this is true. It is certainly my intention. I have also reduced the intensity of my own problems significantly.

My questions are:

1. Since I believe my anxiety is based on insecurity that began in early infancy (and so is difficult to put into words) do you have any suggestions regarding how I might approach discovering my helplessness/rage triggers?

2. Do you have any advice about helping others with a layman's knowledge of your method of addressing addictions? I would like to buy copies of your books for everyone I know but can't afford that and, anyway, not everyone is a reader. I can (and will) put together various short intros (pamphlet, slide show, etc.) but if you already have something available that would be better.

Obviously, it would be useful for people like me (including addiction counselors of limited education) to be able to use (however inadequately) your ideas. In an ideal world, I would happily get myself properly psychoanalyzed and then do a M.A. or PhD in counseling psychology. Since neither of those are remotely possible I would appreciate any guidance you are able to offer.

March 24, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterKaren

Dear Karen,
I've seen this Discussion forum largely as a place for others to share their thoughts and, in general, have not attempted to reply to individual posts. I'm sorry to say I do not have any materials that summarize my books. I hope my second book, "Breaking Addiction" has been helpful in identifying themes in your life, and in adding to your abilities to help others.
Best,
Lance Dodes, M.D.

May 31, 2013 | Registered CommenterLance Dodes, M.D.